About Gove County Medical Center
Gove County Medical Center and Long Term Care Facility provides a comprehensive range of healthcare services, quality and compassionate care in our hospice, outpatient clinics, and telemedicine.
We are committed to providing exceptional healthcare services that encompass the complete life cycle of our patients, residents, and their loved ones, all delivered in the spirit of compassionate care.
We live by our core values of respect to patients, residents, and fellow employees; compassion; quality healthcare; innovation; accountability in both our actions and financials; community, and education.
One day in 1923, the editor of the Advocate was carried through a storm on a stretcher to a train that would take him to a hospital in Hays, as there wasn’t one in Quinter. Convalescing from an attack of rheumatism, he had the idea of building a small hospital at home where patients could be near relatives and friends. A public drive succeeded in the foundation of the Quinter Hospital and Sanatorium in 1925, sponsored by the Brethren Church.
Since these humble beginnings as a small two-patient, two-story facility, much has changed. We have weathered many storms, including the dust storm of 1937 when we had to close for a period of months. In 1946, Gove County took ownership of the hospital and changed the name to Gove County Hospital. Modern new equipment was installed, the hospital was completely remodeled, and in 1950 a new hospital was dedicated and the old hospital was shut down.
Our Long Term Care Facility was built in 1963. Several additions and remodeling projects have happened since then, and a third name change occurred in 1994 when Gove County Hospital became Gove County Medical Center.